About Ipswich Soldiers' Memorial Hall
Opened By The Governor Sir Mathew Nathan On November 26, 1921.
Through The Years
Look back on Ipswich Soldiers' Memorial Hall over the years.
The Memorial Window
On 30 November 1922, Governor Sir Matthew Nathan unveiled the Memorial Window in the Soldiers Memorial Hall.
Money for the window was raised by Mrs Cameron and ladies of the Ipswich Train Tea Society who were a dedicated group that met every train at Ipswich Railway Station to provide troops with tea and refreshments.
The design of the window was by William Bustard and work was carried out by R. S. Exton and Company, Brisbane, under the instruction of Mr C.H. Lancaster.
It is in memory of the men who gave their lives in WWI and depicts St Michael as the Angel of Victory with outspread wings embracing four soldier figures from the 9th, 15th and 26th battalions and the 5th Light Horse. The border of grape vines symbolises life.
In the 1980s the window was moved to the RSL Services Club at North Ipswich, but was returned to the hall in November 2006.